Nov 15 2008

How to Hide System Tray Icons in Vista

If you like the clean desktop look you’re probably wondering how to hide or get rid of those pesky system tray icons next to your clock that just about every program you install wants to add there. So here’s how to do it.

Here’s how mine looked before:

Ready to clean that mess up.

1. Right click in the task bar and choose Properties.

2. From within the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties page choose the Notification Area then select Customize:

3. Now click on the icon you want to hide and in the drop down box beside it choose Hide. Do this for all the icons you want to hide and click Ok twice and you’re finished.

Here’s how it looks now.

Please visit our new site at The3List Why Do Bad Things Happen In 3"s.

RELATED POSTS:
  • Create a Custom Control Panel in Vista
  • How To Auto Hide Your Vista Taskbar
  • How To Add Your Admin Tools To Vista’s Start Menu
  • Adding Icons To Your Desktop
  • How to Show or Hide your Desktop Icons in Vista

9 Comments on this post

Trackbacks

1. ben said:

omg thx so much i was looking evrywere for this thx

June 27th, 2009 at 11:05 am
    2. krisvek said:

This only hides what becomes a problem for many people. Those icons in the system tray represent a program that is running, a program that few really ever need running in most cases. I would say it is far better to disable the auto-run of the program that you don’t need than to simply hide it. CCleaner works very well for this, but you can use the msconfig method as well, just be careful not to disable anything important.

That said, yes, sometimes it is also nice to hide the icons for programs that you DO want/need running in the background, and this is an easy, built-in way to do so.

September 18th, 2009 at 3:43 pm
    3. dhana said:

This method works fine, but when i click the arrow, all active icons display. How can i hide icons when application is active, even i click the arrow?

October 22nd, 2009 at 6:20 am
    4. Kevin said:

@ dhana,
      You will need to edit the Registry to make this change. If you’re not confortable editing the Registry you may want to not make this change.

1. Create a Restore Point.
      2. Go to start And type in the Windows Vista Search box regedit and press enter.
      3. Approve the UAC

Now that you have your registry editor opened find the key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

4. Now right click in the window on the right.
      5. Click on new DWORD (32-bit) Value.
      6. Name the new Key NoTrayItemsDisplay
      7. Now double click on the key and assign a value of 1 to the key.

Now you?re finished, Reboot your system your system tray should be Icon free.

October 25th, 2009 at 7:25 am
    5. Raja Lalith said:

@Kevin
      I think what you said will hide all the icons but i would like hide icon of a particular application completely..

How can you that?

Thks in advance

March 17th, 2010 at 10:35 pm
    6. Lyndsey Birchall said:

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say excellent blog!

May 2nd, 2011 at 8:42 am
    7. Minterest said:

Is there any way to remove a single icon from system tray in Vista? I dont want to hide it temporarily using hide inactive icons. Any other way?

April 25th, 2012 at 12:30 pm
    8. miley cyrus racy photos said:

Good day! I just would like to offer you a big thumbs up for your
      excellent information you’ve got right here on this post. I’ll
      be returning to your website for more soon.

May 27th, 2013 at 10:34 am
    9. Elise said:

Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve visited this site before but after browsing through many of the posts
      I realized it’s new to me. Anyhow, I’m definitely pleased I
      came across it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back frequently!

November 30th, 2013 at 6:46 am