How to Schedule the Disk Defragmenter in Vista
- 2 Comment
Disk defragmentation describes the process of consolidating fragmented files on your computer’s hard disk.
Fragmentation happens to a hard disk over time as you save, change, or delete files. The changes that you save to a file are often stored at a location on the hard disk that’s different from the original file. Additional changes are saved to even more locations. Over time, both the file and the hard disk itself become fragmented, and your computer slows down as it has to look in many different places to open a file.
Disk Defragmenter is a tool that rearranges the data on your hard disk and reunites fragmented files so your computer can run more efficiently.
By default Vista runs the Defragmenter once a week to keep your disks in top shape. Mine is setup to run every Wednesday at 1am, but you may want it to run at a more convenient time so lets change it to a different time.
- Click the Start Orb > All Programs > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter.
- Or for a faster way, Click the Start Orb and type Defrag in the search box and hit enter.
- If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
- Now you can see when the Defragmenter is scheduled to run. ( Make sure Run on a schedule is checked )
- Click Modify schedule to change when it will run. You can choose Daily, Weekly or Monthly, I recommend weekly.
- Select the day and time and click ok.
- Your next choice is Select Volumes, If you have more than 1 hard drive or partition in your computer you can select which ones to defrag. Click ok.
- If you want you can start the defragmenter now or click ok to exit the disk defragmenter.
Copyright ? VistaRevisited.com. All Rights Reserved.
Please visit our new site at The3List Why Do Bad Things Happen In 3"s.RELATED POSTS: