Jan 9 2008

How To Take Ownership Of A File Or Folder In Vista

folder_documents If you upgraded your computer to Vista or you are moving files to your Vista computer you may need to Take Ownership of those files if you get an “access denied” message when you try to open or change the properties of a folder or file that was created by a different user.

This is a follow up to my earlier post. Here

1. Logon as an Administrator.
  2. Right click the folder or file you need to change.
  3. Select Properties.
  4. Click on the Security tab.
  5. Click on the Advanced button.
  6. Click on the Owner tab.
  7. Click the Edit button.
  8. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
  9. In the Change Owner box select your name.
  10. To take ownership of the folder and all its contents, click on “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects”.
  11. Click Ok a few times and your done.

Now you shouldn’t have any difficulties opening, movinor manipulating those folders or files.

SCREEN SHOTS:

1. Logon as an Administrator.
2. Right click the folder or file you need to change.
3. Select Properties.

4. Click on the Security tab.
5. Click on the Advanced button.

6. Click on the Owner tab.
7. Click the Edit button.

9. In the Change Owner box select your name.

11. Click Ok a few times and your done.

Copyright? VistaRevisited.com. All Rights Reserved.

Please visit our new site at The3List Why Do Bad Things Happen In 3"s.

RELATED POSTS:
  • Add Take Ownership Of Files To Vista’s Right Click Menu
  • How to Schedule the Disk Defragmenter in Vista
  • Prevent Vista From Accidentally Creating Duplicates when Copying Files
  • Sync Your Computers Clock to the Internet Via the Command Prompt
  • Keep Vista From Asking For A Password After Resuming From Sleep Mode
  • TAGS:

12 Comments on this post

Trackbacks

1. Top 20 Visited Posts for the Month of January 2008 | Vista Revisited wrote:

[…] How To Take Ownership Of A File Or Folder In Vista […]

May 11th, 2008 at 10:25 am
    2. Getting Access Denied Messages When Accessing Folder wrote:

[…] Hi artful. Take ownership of the file or folder you are having problems with, http://www.vistarevisited.com/2008/0…lder-in-vista/. […]

December 8th, 2008 at 1:34 am
    1. gary said:

I have followed your steps but i still dont have permission to delete my file, i am an admin.

May 26th, 2009 at 9:12 am
    2. liviu said:

i have followed the step and no result, what else can i do, i am realy disperate. please help me to rezzolv this problem
      thanks…

January 20th, 2010 at 10:08 am
    3. Randi said:

I was having the same problem, loading from an external hard drive that used Vista to another computer using Vista… and this worked for me perfectly, at least for my picture files so far. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

January 23rd, 2010 at 4:44 pm
    4. essentium said:

I have had no luck with this.

June 9th, 2010 at 5:43 am
    5. guitarfreak said:

thanx a lot lot and lot! this worked perfectly while everything else failed! thanx a lot again! have a nice day kevin and thanx again for the help 😀

July 2nd, 2010 at 9:44 am
    6. Peter said:

Thanks! I needed the help, and this worked!

August 8th, 2010 at 6:04 pm
    7. Nii said:

I cannot access the Drive D itself and not the folders within, and I dont think this option will work. Please help me because there are vital documents to be revived on the drive.

April 5th, 2011 at 4:11 am
    8. jo said:

May 1st, 2011 at 8:07 pm
    9. Khant said:

Hi!!
      Can you help me?I’m in trouble.My best stupid friend did the best problem for me.I’m going to lose all my thesis data.HELP ME!!!
      I have a 1TB external hard disk with 2 partitions.He said that..
      He right clicked on External Hard disk(H:)
      Left click on Properties(menu item)
      Left click on Security>Edit>Deny Full control(check box) in “Permissions for External Hard disk(H:)” for everyone
      Left click on “Users (MY-PC\Users) (list item)” > “Deny Full control (check box)” in “Permissions for External Hard disk(H:)”
      Left click on “Apply” > “OK”

Now, this drive(H:) is access denied and there is no “Security” tab to re change setting.
      I unplugged and restarted it.The message to Format The Drive appeared.
      Please help me with this ! This disk contains many important things of my life.
      I promise I’ll punish my friend well.

November 10th, 2011 at 2:47 am
    10. Alboz said:

wow !!!!! Thanks a lot Kevin.. respekt for you !!! keep it to up.

September 9th, 2012 at 6:20 pm