Oct 20 2007

Remote Differential Compression And Your Vista Network Part 2

sp1 This week I had the opportunity to install Vista SP1 on my computer so I decided to revisit my Remote Differential Compression test. You can Read Part 1 Here. Microsoft has said SP1 will speed up file transfers so I retested with the same file and as you can see it made a marked improvement

4.35 Gig test file, Windows Vista with Remote Differential Compression on.

Original Vista Version Vista SP1
Hard drive to Hard drive: 3:12 sec Hard drive to Hard drive: 1:47 sec
Computer to Computer: 13:54 sec Computer to Computer: 6:36 sec

4.35 Gig test file, Windows Vista with Remote Differential Compression off

Original Vista Version Vista SP1
Hard drive to Hard drive: 2:47sec Hard drive to Hard drive: 1:53 sec
Computer to Computer: 13:03 sec Computer to Computer: 6:48 sec

4.35 Gig test file, Windows XP

Hard drive to Hard drive: 1:33
Computer to Computer: 8:15

With Vista SP1 installed. Remote Differential Compression only had a few second difference between having it turned off. But notice the huge difference between Original Vista and SP1. Wow!! It even beat XP in the computer to Computer test by almost 1.5 minutes.

Update 5-24-08

New information is available to speed up your network read my new post .

If you like this post then consider subscribing to our full RSS feed.

You can also subscribe by Email and have posts sent directly to your inbox.

Copyright ? VistaRevisited.com. All Rights Reserved.

Related Posts:

Please visit our new site at The3List Why Do Bad Things Happen In 3"s.

RELATED POSTS:
  • Remote Differential Compression And Your Vista Network
  • Top 20 Visited Posts for the Month of January 2008
  • About
  • Dual Booting Windows XP and Vista, An Install Guide
  • Vista Revisited: The Week In Review For 10-14-07
  • TAGS:

12 Comments on this post

Trackbacks

1. Vista Revisited - » Remote Differential Compression And Your Vista Network wrote:

[…] Remote Differential Compression And Your Vista Network Part 2 […]

October 20th, 2007 at 10:18 am
    2. How to Improve Network Performance in Windows Vista | Vista Revisited wrote:

[…] a reader named Tarrant1701 posted a comment in my follow-up post about RDC asking about his slow networking speeds on his gigabit network and we got into a Email discussion […]

May 29th, 2008 at 6:46 pm
    3. Copy and Move Paralysis | keyongtech wrote:

[…] you might try disabling RDC and see if it helps. Here’s some stuff about RDC and file copy times: http://www.vistarevisited.com/2007/1…etwork-part-2/ Control Panel|Programs and Features|Turn Windows Features on or off|uncheck Remote Differential […]

January 18th, 2009 at 12:26 pm
    1. Matt MS said:

As I understand it the differential compression is most useful with syncing whole folders and when internal sections of files are updated. The diff-comp can sync bits and pieces as opposed to the whole file.

It would be interesting to re-do your test and just change a couple bytes in the GIG file…

January 23rd, 2008 at 11:26 pm
    2. Kevin said:

@ Matt MS, That a good idea. I was planning on waiting for the final version of SP1 then redoing the test. Thanks for the input.

January 24th, 2008 at 6:15 am
    3. Tarrant said:

I backed up my HTPC running MCE 2005 dvr-ms files across my Gigabit LAN to a WinXP Pro SP2 computer. Both computers used a Gigabit NIC with standard frames across a Gigabit switch. I got a transfer rate of 30 MBytes/sec (= 240 Mbits/sec).

I then did a clean install of Vista Ultimate on my HTPC, installed SP1, turned off IPv6 and kept RDC on. Restored my dvr-ms back to the HTPC, and now the transfer rate was only 11 MBytes/sec (88 Mbits/sec). Turned RDC off and essentially still got 11 MBytes/sec. Tried copying a file instead from the HTPC to my XP comp, still got the same transfer rate.

Why I am still getting crappy XP Vista transfer rates across a Gigabit LAN?

May 4th, 2008 at 10:43 pm
    4. Kevin said:

@ Tarrant,
      Sorry I took so long to get back to you I was working out of town this week. I feel your pain with the slow network transfers. I’m just on a regular 100mb switch so you can imagine how slow my network is. Have you tried disabling auto tuning yet, I did get a modest speed increase when i disabled it. Follow this link and let me know if it helps. http://www.vistarevisited.com/2007/11/26/disable-vistas-autotuning-to-improve-wireless-connectivity/

Kevin.

May 9th, 2008 at 10:06 pm
    5. Tom Amitai said:
      July 19th, 2008 at 4:25 pm
    6. Haisen said:

Cut the craB.You just need ONE hottfix to solve that peformance problem of yours.You do not need to instal a whole package of junk(with a lot of data that will not serve you ,and will impair your system) from the vista service pack 1*.

HERE’S THE LINK FOR THE HOTFIX:

Windows6.0-KB931770-x86

Link for 32 bit only

(1)http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931770

(2)http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?autocom=downloads
      showfile=83

*You can instead select the hotfixes you want instaled on your system vista service pack 1.When you download SP1 on Windows Update you can select what packs you want to download.Do it.Pick up the packs codes and search their fuction on Google.

http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?showtopic=3170 (about)

June 2nd, 2009 at 10:22 am
    7. Kevin said:

@ Haisen, We weren’t having problems with the file copy process not responding and hanging, the issue was slow transferring speeds which has been solved.
      Service Pack 1 fixed a lot of problems in Vista and now that SP2 is available I recommend everyone install that too.

Kevin.

June 2nd, 2009 at 4:42 pm
    8. Chris said:

This is a nonsense test.

RDC is for syncronizing altered files over slow networks.

You should have put your 4gig file on a remote server over ADSL or dial-up, then changed some stuff inside it, then used RDC to sync the files.

You would then have discovered RDC is about 135937500 seconds faster than re-uploading the entire 4gigs a second time to the remote server… (assuming a regular ADSL1 connection)

February 19th, 2010 at 9:17 pm
    9. David Walker said:

Remote Differential Compression is not used in file copying operations. It is an algorithm, implemented in a DLL, and if you write C# or C++ code that calls certain Windows APIs, then you’ll be using RDC. If you are copying files using Windows Explorer, or a command line, RDC is not used. It *is* used by Distributed File System between servers.

There have been changes in Vista file copying operations for performance reasons, but RDC has nothing to do with that.

January 10th, 2011 at 5:55 pm